What's new

Microsoft Windows Operating System Support for Intel Kaby Lake, and Later Processors

ThienBui

Techniques
Supporter
Summary: Windows Operating System support for Intel Kaby Lake, and later processors is limited to Windows 10".

Kaby Lake, and Later Generations of Processors:
Starting with Intel's seventh generation Core processors, the Kaby Lake series (I7-7xxx, I5-7xxx CPU description = Kaby Lake), processors will only have Windows 10 operating system support.

Dell is in alignment with both Intel and Microsoft support policies for Kaby Lake and later processors, limiting Kaby Lake operating system support to the Windows 10 operating system alone.

There will be no legacy operating system support (Windows 7, Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1) for Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake, Ice Lake etc. equipped systems.

Legacy Operating system support using Skylake generation of processors.
For systems with a demonstrated need for legacy Windows, Dell Precision, Latitude and OptiPlex platforms launching in 2017 may be purchased with a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 downgrade and these systems will be equipped with a Skylake central processing unit (CPU) (I7-6xxx, I5-6xxx CPU description = Skylake).

NOTE: Kaby Lake motherboards also support Skylake CPUs.
Microsoft support policies with updated Windows 7 & 8.1 guidelines.
Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 1.15.01 PM.jpg

Del Precision, Latitude and OptiPlex models launching in 2017 will have Skylake processor options that allow for Windows 7 and 8.1 support through the end of Intel Skylake support.

NOTE: You can check the processor information of your system in the BIOS (Press the F2 Key at boot) or in either system properties in the control panel or by launching the system information application with the command: MSINFO32 in the run/search box next to the start button.

Latest posts

Back