What's new

Ask Pegatron

Question & Answer Forums

Rollen-Kallen-525

Registered member
Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Hello, new user here.

Need to reset ADMIN password from BIOS, in a laptop.
I bought the machine from a second hand seller, and the admin password is a long ago forgotten by him.
BIOS is Amibios v202 (Aptio setup utility) 2008.
Motherboard is H36YR.
Manufacturer is Pegatron.
It is a branded laptop.

EEPROM looks like DELL 24C06, with some software scanner.
Dumping EEPROM returns only zeroes.
Some other tools report: "BIOS is write-protected".

At POST, entering password 3 times wrong gives 5x8 hex digit checksum value, every time different.
Like XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX.
None of the key-gens work, that are available online. That checksum if far too long for them.
I think that is a one-time password which can be calculated somehow, and is valid, until 3 wrong pass is entered again. Then new checksum comes.

Strange thing is, that I can access BIOS using alt+enter, in the password prompt. But all items there are grayed out.
All USB ports seems to be enabled, and I can see all submenus etc. But cannot change any items, because Admin password is not entered.
Still, USB ports cannot function at POST, and not in the OS, even BIOS says enabled (grayed out).
Boot order does not support USB at all. But machine is useless, when they does not even work in any OS environment.
OS is installed with different machine and HDD is swapped to this laptop, it works, but not perfectly. GPU, USB and Chipset drivers refuse to install, etc...

How can I reset that Admin-PW without removing the EEPROM chip?
Shorting two pins in EEPROM during entering setup and during admin pass change may be helpful, according some sources.
This far I am now. But still no luck.
Thank you already if anyone can help.

-Rollen Kallen

you must be a hardware technician and have a professional BIOS programming tool like RT809H or SVOD…

Thank you for a very fast reply, this site is awesome anyway.
One more thing. Do you have a high resolution image of this MotherBoard, H36YR, one or both sides ?

-Rollen Kallen

Back